background

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The windmill farmer

It was early in the countryside and I had risen out of bed as a farmer does. I was ready to plant my windmills on the first day of Autumn. I slipped on my gumboots and wandered outside singing a happy tune.  The outside wind was blunt and the dirt had turned to mush from last nights rain. I got my tools out and started to dig little holes in the ground ready for my windmills. I took a few seeds out my pocket and walked backwards. As I went I dropped a little seed in each hole. I was trying to concentrate hard, but I was getting more tired as I went.


When everything was according to plan, I made my way back to my shabby house feeling exhausted but faithful at the same time. Once I reached the door, I turned to get a glimpse of the sunny sky and the high mountains. The sight was breathtaking, I looked at my Windmill seeds and then at my denim overalls. I still had one windmill seed left but instead of planting it I simply put it in the palm of my hand and blew on the propeller.


I arose out of bed the next morning, and to my disbelief the windmills had grown to a tremendous size. I was so gleeful and proud, I stretched out of bed and tiptoed outside in my socks. I felt excited, thankful even determined to keep working. The happiness inside me was growing bigger and bigger like my windmills were.


I ended the day by watering the windmills. Then I skipped inside with a smile on my face. I slipped my gumboots off when I reached my bedroom door then I fluffed up my pillow and jumped in bed. I nodded off not long after but I kept thinking something disastrous was going to happen.


About an hour later I was awoken by thunder noises and heavy rain. I peered through my window and gasped. The stalks of my windmills were starting to split.  I rushed outside, I was too late. My windmills had blown away, all that was left behind was a third of the stalk in the ground. I wept and wept but it didn’t make a difference. I was so heart broken  almost like I had been rejected. Without my windmills I was a miserable old man.


Suddenly my hat blew off my head. I caught it in time but I decided it wasn’t safe being outside in this storm. I turned back to my door and struggled to get inside with the heavy wind. Once I was inside, I felt the emotions coming on again. I sat on my bed sulking hoping tomorrow would turn out better than today.


I was wrong sadly. Seeing my windmills gone in the daylight had made me feel desperate. Instead of spending my day unhappy I decided to change my attitude and got out the one windmill seed in my pocket. I blew on it slightly. My world felt like it had changed, the storm had never come and my windmills felt like they were still there. My happiness grew inside, I felt joyful and ecstatic. I was jumping around my farm like it was a trampoline. I was going to plant my one windmill but this time it was going to exceed.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent Maddy!
    I like how you changed the ending!
    Why did you decide to change the ending?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your story Madison. It is very interesting to read.
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete