background

Thursday, June 06, 2013

Lake Waikareiti

Lake Waikareiti
In term 2, week 4, room 17 (our class) went to Camp Kaitawa. It was a long ride there but it was all worth it for the experience. I had so many thrilling adventures but my favourite part about camp took place on Tuesday the 28th of May. That was the day I went rowing on the clearest bluest lake with Miss Hill and my excited camp group.

Lake Waikareiti was amazing. It is said to be the clearest and coldest lake in the North Island. It was formed by a landslide 18,000 years ago and is still around now. Lake Waikareiti also contains a small island near the middle that has its own little lake. This island is called Rahui island. Another unusual fact about lake Waikareiti is that it has a rare plant growing near the lake called  blechnum discolour or a more common name for it would be crown fern.


 
The lake is located in Wairoa, Hawkes Bay, North Island. It has the surface of 880m and normally the temperature of the lake doesn’t go higher than 20 degrees. On Tuesday the 4th of June the temperature was 14 degrees Celsius.   

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
Next time I would like to test the temperature of the water in summer and winter and see the difference. The reason would do this is because I would like to gather the numbers and turn it into a maths problem. Also I would enjoy learning how to row so I could venture out to Rahui Island whenever it suited.
The lake was freezing but it was still my favourite part of camp. I’m happy I had the chance to go to camp with all my friends and spend a lot of time with them and my camp group. My camp group worked well together, everyone included themselves in activities such as the amazing race, my kitchen rules, rowing and much more. The girls in the dorm room woke up with a lot say but they still managed to charm people in the morning with their neat hair and lovely smiles especially Mrs Roil. Camp Kaitawa was an experience of a lifetime and I’m glad I didn’t miss out.

No comments:

Post a Comment